Our requirements for adopting Rabbits
To consider you as a rabbit adopter we require you to meet these welfare standards as a minimum. We are happy to advise on set-ups, diet, enrichment and just about anything else before you dive into buying new things for you rabbits.
Please remember that pet shops and generally poorly informed and put profit before animal welfare so accept their guidance with cation. Often, their cages marketed as ‘extra large’ are below even the basic minimum welfare requirements.
Even if you have kept rabbits before, please take a read through our rabbit care information page linked below as welfare standards improve often.
Key basic requirements
If you want to apply to adopt rabbits, please ensure you have the following:
- An enclosure of at least 70 square feet on a single level, secure for access 24/7. They must NEVER be shut into a hutch or cage, even at night or when you are out.
- Identified a suitable exotics vet near you and how you will fund emergency vet treatment.
- Correct and up to date knowledge on rabbit nutrition and diet
- Suitable enrichment, toys and activities
- Be able to provide a home to multiple rabbits as they cannot be kept alone
- Property owner’s permission to keep rabbits (if renting)
- Considered who will care for rabbits when you are away on holiday
How to adopt from us
Contact us either by email, facebook or by filling in a contact form stating a bit about yourself, which animal(s) you’d like to apply for and your background.
If we think you might be a good fit, we will send you a link to our online application form to learn more about the home you have to offer.
pHOTOS & hOME cHECK
If your applications look okay we will need photos of your intended set up at this stage. This will be followed up by an in person or virtual home check.